Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lizzy's Blanket Update

Before I start this post, I would like to thank the requester for this challenging project. I definitely learned a lot along the way. I'd also like to  apologize for taking forever! This is my first huge project so hopefully I will be faster in my new experiences with future projects.

Someone had asked me to make a 5 by 7 feet blanket for her daughter a while back. She's probably wondering about it. I didn't think it would take this long and it's way more difficult than I thought it would be. She wanted a lacy flower pattern lined with fleece. I started with this flower.

I thought I could make a bunch of flowers and put them together somehow. That didn't work out so well. They didn't seem to fit right any way I tried to put them together, so I had to start over. (Gotta figure out what to do with all those flowers later.)


  I searched for a pattern that I could follow so I didn't have to think so much. I finally found one online and got to work. I made a bunch of panels over a couple months. When I was ready to put it all together, somehow the panels were all different sizes! It was very frustrating. Apparently, I used different hooks which caused them to be different lengths. So, I had to start over again. This time (learning from my mistakes) I was sure to document what I did so that I could pick up where I left off with the right hook and implement whatever changes I made to the pattern. I also put the panels together as they were completed instead of waiting until I had them all finished.



I've been so preoccupied with this blanket project. Every time I think I'm close to being finished, I get excited then I find something else wrong.  This is the blanket on a queen size bed. I measured the blanket and it looks like I need one more panel. Ugh.. Well, at least I don't have to start all over again. I'm so close! One more panel and then the lining...  Oh, the satisfaction of finishing will be sweet. 

1 comment:

becky said...

That's awesome! I don't know if I could ever have that much patience. I've done three blankets. One of them ended up being a massive triangle because I haven't finished it yet. A few amigurumi's and scarves. And I've figured out no matter how I try I can't get a decent hat to turn out...lol