My first embroidery project came out better than I expected!
So I decided to give embroidery a try. It's not so hard. I used felt and embroidery thread. I colored his name on the felt with a sharpie the way I wanted it to look, using some fancy font in Microsoft Word. Then I did a back stitch along the border of the letters, then a fill stitch to fill it in. I don't think fill stitch is the correct term, but it fills in the letters, so that's what I'm going with.
The border is just single crochet around. I started to do the "fill stitch" around the edge, but it just wasn't working out for me. I didn't realize that I had yellow felt until after I was finished. Oh well, even though it doesn't match, I think it looks better than crossing out the name. I glued on the finished piece with some hot glue. Wala!