I took this thrift store shirt and made some alterations.
First I chopped off the sleeves and made the shirt a little more fitted.
Then I added crochet, of course. This is an applique that I wrote about in another blog post. I just pinned it where I liked then hand sewed it in place.
I carefully cut out the fabric from behind the crochet.
This shirt is for my daughter, so instead of leaving the open back, I added a contrasting color to the inside. Conveniently, I had a sample swatch of stretch cotton jersey in the exact size that I needed. Not the prettiest stitches, but they do the job. I had to make sure to stay behind the crochet so the stitches weren't visible on the other side.
And the final piece.